Monday, July 31, 2006

Feeling very young in Alabama

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like you had no business being there because you felt so inadequate and young and inexperienced? Where you feel like you're getting to be a part of an experience that you don't merit? That's sorta the way I feel here at this nurse educators conference in Gulf Shores, Alabama. I have to be the youngest person here. There's a 24 year old here with us from SAU but of the 6 of us, I'm the only unmarried person still working at their first nursing job. There are about 40 people here attending the conference done by Sylvia Rayfield. If you know anything about nursing, you know she's a guru in the field. For those of you that remember my AS Nursing days, she's the one that came up with that 3 day review I did in the top of Thatcher South with that book with lots of... what do you call those things where they do a word and each letter stands for something. Anyway, we had to color the pictures and go through that book to help us remember things for the NCLEX exam (what allows you to become a nurse). So I'm in this class with a lot of veteran nurses, all nursing professors so my youngness stands out big time. I can almost feel the stares. ;-) The stuff we are learning is so amazing though! Who knows when I will ever use it since I don't want to teach for awhile yet, but WOW! I've come up against the dilemma of looking at how my life will play out: career vs. motherhood (if that should ever happen). There are so many options and so much I could do!

The lady that did my NCLEX review from their company recognized me today which was kinda nice. I talked to her for awhile and she had a lot of positive things to say. The general consensus I get is "That's so wonderful that you're doing this at such a young age!" or "Wow! You're only 22 and partway through a masters?" To which I think... that's what happens if you go straight through... These women have it so much harder than I do; trying to run a family and take care of kids while they go to school too. I really have nothing to complain about.

We're at The Beach Club in Gulf Shores, AL. Big huge skyrises with condos in them. We're in a 3 bedroom one. I'm sharing a king size bed, how amazingly big it is! Last night we went to a local restaurant where the "all you can eat" part of the meal is fried potatoes (to DIE for!), black eyed peas, okra, and macaroni & tomatoes. They all wear overalls and a big tall black man comes out and throws rolls to everybody. The kids love it, all standing up with their hands in the air. (I can definitely see Carrie working at that job. She would love to get paid to throw food and with her accuracy, they would want to keep her forever!) We spent some time in the ocean today and there are several pools here. It's rained here a lot today, hopefully it will hold off.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

it's called an acronym

and i would like to work somewhere where my job was to throw food ;)

Anonymous said...

:) i wonder if we will always feel a bit like imposters?

love ya,

tara

Anonymous said...

never think that you are too young to be called to do great things.

MJ said...

Who's gilligan????