Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A WHOLE weekend off!

It was so nice to get the entire weekend off while the gang gathered at Kari's house for Sabbath. Anthony drove up from Florida for the weekend. The picture is of all of us putting an after market spoiler on his new Acura. Apparently it takes about 6 people to put a spoiler on: 3 to hold it and 3 to give opinions. Weekends are so much more relaxing when you get to do something on Saturday night! The other two pictures are from the weekend. Carrie and I had fun playing around with the camera. Unfortunately my sister smashed Carrie's thumb in my car door so I'm not sure Carrie had as good a weekend as I did... :-( But now she's gone on her spring break to see Lindsey so hopefully it will get better.


I worked on Monday and a strange opportunity came my way. I'm not sure exactly how it's going to pan out but basically it could be the kind of job I wanted to do once I'm done with my master's in education. Amazingly, it's dropped in my lap in just about the perfect way. I will still be doing 1-2 12 hour shifts a week as a floor nurse but I'll make up the rest of my hours doing patient education for the 3 sister cardiac floors at our hospital. It sounds like it will mostly be dealing with smoking cessation, diabetes, and surgery education, but we'll see what happens. There isn't really a job description or a set agenda so I could potentially make it into whatever I see needs to be done. The parts of my schedule used for this job would be flexible and mainly up to me. And I'm only working ONE Sunday out of the next 5 weeks! AMAZING! I might be able to actually have a weekend life! Also, I could potentially use some of this for my thesis/master's project/research. Of course, the way things go in hospitals, this could all fizzle out in a few weeks, but at least I will have given it a go, and even if it lasts for 4 months, I can have the experience and the exposure. Because I'm still working some shifts I'd just transition back into 12 hour floor shifts all the time. It's nice when your peers and your leadership express a belief in your abilities and see something in you that makes them think you could be good at doing something you want to do. I'm a bit scared about making the transition and feeling a bit inadequate designing my own program at the age of 22 but hey... life is an adventure right? And realistically, I have more education than most of the nurses in the hospital. I DO know something. So pray for me as I see where the road will lead in the next few weeks. I certainly didn't think an opportunity would drop into my lap like this when I went to work yesterday. Maybe Jeremiah 29:11 should read "BEWARE of the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are completely on my own time table."

No comments: