Wednesday, September 27, 2006

To change or not to change: THAT is the question

I finally acted on the feelings that have been nagging me for several weeks but I've been too chicken to do anything about. Last semester I spent a day following one of the cardiologists that specializes in electrophysiology (basically the electrical conduction of the heart) and I really really enjoyed it! I caught on really quickly to the stuff in the EP lab where they do ablations and put in pacemakers. The doctor told me they'd hire me if I ever wanted a job. At that point I wasn't ready to switch positions but... lately I've been feeling a little on autopilot at work, in need of some shaking up, some mental stimulation. So, today I talked to that cardiologist's nurse about working in the electrophysiology lab. Turns out they have 8, 10, and 12 hour shifts and take call on weekends and holidays (which could be really really nice). I'd have to work in the cath lab as well as the EP lab but I'm not sure I'm totally adverse to that idea. Now I've set the ball in motion a bit cause I'm sure Debbie will talk to the manager over in the lab.

So... I have to decide whether to stay in my comfortable little bubble with the people I know, where I interact one on one with awake patients, and am basically a floor nurse or get out of my rut and try something new that will shake my brain up a bit, probably make me very uncomfortable for about 6 months, make me learn 500000000 new things in a very technically oriented job, and give me experience in another area of cardiology. I do not like risk and change = risk. Especially in the middle of a master's degree. Anyway, I would like your prayers while I think about this...

One more prayer request... One of my coworkers has a 2 year old who has been having seizures (now up to 20 every hour) has found out in the last few weeks that there is no cure for his problem. Each seizure is causing a little more brain damage despite medicines and he is too weak to survive surgery. She's been in contact with Dr. Carson at Johns Hopkins, a doctor in MI, and at Emory without any hope. She has been told that he will probably have to be institutionalized some day and may never progress developmentally beyond his current level. So please remember this little boy and his family in your prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rust out, or burn out. Tis the question. Being stretched, or staying in one's comfort zone. Appropriate risk. I'm a prayin' for ya, gal.

whisperer said...

So sorry to hear about your friends little boy. That's really sad, I can't imagine how difficult it would be. Good luck as you think about your job, sounds like fun to me! We followed a lot of pacemaker pts where I worked before and its very interesting. Our docs even put them in sometimes. Will be praying for you.

golftooter said...

go for it! It will do your brain good.

Carrie said...

I always wanted a job where I could shock people . . .

Surfs Up said...

Wow, you might be changing? That sounds like a big responsibility but definitely exciting!

Ryan