Thursday, December 8, 2005

Last day of undergraduate classes

My name is Jaclyn Ford. I have an addiction to school. I've decided. Today as I stood in front of the chalkboard writing notes on the board, I realized that today was my last day of undergrad classes. And not only that, it is probably the last time in my life I'll get to take a music class. For all it's frustration and hard work, Music Theory has been one of the most amazing classes I have ever taken. I have a completely new appreciation for music on a totally different level, a deeper understanding of music's intricate subtle genius. We take it for granted every day. Writing good music takes real effort and talent, whether it's a movie score, a popular tune, or a hymn.

How would my life be different if I had become a music major? I'll never know. In some ways I'm very satisfied. I think that I can be much happier going to work as a nurse for years and years then I would be finding something to do with a music degree. However, I feel very sad hanging up the music part of my life. I feel like this semester has opened up a whole new world to me, there's a part of myself that has totally come out of the closet and learned to fly. I'm worried that if I don't keep the doors open and keep growing I'll lose it. I am hungry for more but I don't know if I would really want to keep going all the way to Theory 4. Thankfully I'll still get to keep my finger in with organ lessons.

When I was thinking about doing this semester, Carrie said something to me that I'll never forget. It was something like... "Taking time out to do something special you want to do is really scary at first but you will look back and be really glad you did it." How right she was...

No comments: