Sunday, June 13, 2010

Alaskan Cruise Day 5: Hubbard Glacier & Dinner in the Rotterdam

Enjoying the cool morning Alaskan air reading on Deck #3. Both of us were reading Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins (author of A Walk Across America) which Mary Jane suggested. It was a great way to learn about Alaska while seeing it!

Picking up park rangers and cultural interpreters

Always on the lookout

The bow starts to fill up!

I could sit out here all day long for weeks...

One of my best scenery shots I think

There she is - the Hubbard Glacier!
"Named in 1890 after Gardiner G. Hubbard (regent of the Smithsonian Institution and first president of the National Geographic Society), it is the longest tidewater glacier in Alaska, with an open calving face over ten kilometers (6 mi) wide." (from Wikkipedia)

Glad I bought myself a new camera backpack, made it much easier to carry and use my equipment!

Here is a map of the area - the Hubbard Glacier is HUGE (about 76 miles long) and goes all the way back to the Yukon. Our boat was sitting in Disenchantment Bay.

The smaller and darker Turner Glacier.

Where the twain shall meet.

We lost Ryan, he snuck up to the top. Just think - that glacier is calving off icebergs up to 10 stories high.

Seals! I have many more pictures of these cuties but I'll spare you.

My best friend and partner in photography, Carrie

I love pictures like these 2 that catch people being people and having a good time.

Finally the crowd thinned out and we had space to sit.

Such beautiful colors!

We'd like to know why this ring of ice forms at the edge of the bay.

If they'd started playing Nearer My God to Thee or some other Titanicish song at this point it would not have been funny...

Goodbye Hubbard!

I like Mary Jane's jacket color with the white and blue.

Slightly immature bald eagle flying away from his iceberg perch.

Enjoying my third major vacation (if you don't count camping) with this wonderful company. They've helped me to see and do a few things I might never have done without them in my life!

His friend left him on the iceberg when the big scary ship came.

But he caught up.

How small the grandeur of this place must be compared to the wonders of heaven but oh how amazing some of our Earthly nature is!

We (the youngsters of the group) had picked a good night for dinner in the Rotterdam Dining Room since there were several vegetarian options on the menu. We were constantly torturing our waiter every night by asking for things without the duck, or the chicken, or the steak, or the dressing... I guarantee you all of the other stewards said "ha ha, you've got those weird people who won't eat everything!" to whoever had us every night and I'm sure the kitchen knew us too.

The most drastic example I think was Randy ordering the cheese plate without the cheese.

11 out of 12 was the record for one meal together on this trip!


Course 1: Goat cheese, mushroom?, and tomato tart

Course 2: Farmers medley with cream soup

Course 3: Sweet & Sour Tofu - VERY good

Documenting, always documenting, but nobody ever said "would you two PLEASE put those cameras away!" even if they thought it.

Ryan and Milton sharing the extra condiment from home - cayenne pepper.

Course 4: Heath Bar frozen yogurt

A few facts about food on the Zaandam for you:
The Dining Room and Lido Service Staff included 104 persons
The Kitchen Staff included 97 persons
There were 2 Indonesian Chefs and 1 Filipino Chef onboard to feed the crew
11 crew and one Foreman for the dishwashing of approx. 3000 dinner plates, 7000 dessert plates, 2000 side plates, 5000 glasses, and ramekins, plate covers, etc. etc. etc. for 11 hours a day
Average weekly consumptions:
Meat and meat products - 8500 lbs
Butter & Margarine - 1100 lbs
Fresh vegetables - 12000 lbs
Potatoes - 4500 lbs
Rice for the crew - 2100 lbs
Flour - 2900 lbs
Eggs - 18000 pieces
Ice Cream - 200 gallons

We thought this was most likely a penguin - what do you think?

1 comment:

Mary Jane said...

Wow - I love this post. So much factual info with gorgeous pictures and yet so very personal at the same time. It brought tears to my eyes when I read the caption you put under our picture. Jaclyn, you are very special to us both. I'm so glad you came along to see Alaska. You didn't show me the painting that you bought. What happened to show and tell time?